[tpop3d-discuss] Drac was: version 1.4.2pre2

Dave Baker dave at dsb3.com
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 09:22:39 -0400

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 02:12:51PM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:10:56AM -0400, Michael Klatsky wrote:
> > Next- can we have DRAC AUTH as an option ?  :)
>
> What is DRAC?

Taken from the debian package description file:

 A daemon that dynamically updates a relay authorization map for some
 MTA (postfix, sendmail). It provides a way to allow legitimate users
 to relay mail through an SMTP server, while still preventing others
 from using it as a spam relay. User's IP addresses are added to the
 map immediately after they have authenticated to the POP or IMAP
 server. By default, map entries expire after 30 minutes, but can be
 renewed by additional authentication. Periodically checking mail on
 a POP server is sufficient to do this. The POP and SMTP servers
 can be on different hosts.

I'd counter that enough mail clients support SMTP AUTH for sending email
that pop-before-smtp is starting to really show it's age.

Dave

--

- Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  dave@devbrain.com  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D