[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d - new installation

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 21:31:48 +0100

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 04:26:19PM -0400, Dave Baker wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 07:47:18PM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
    [...]
> >     http://ex-parrot.com/~chris/tpop3d/tpop3d-1.4.2pre1.tar.gz
>
> Looks good.  A couple more quick ideas come to mind, now that these are
> taken care of.
>
> 1) Allow "-d" option to be in config file.  I run my tpop3d out of
> daemontools, so multilog wants the log output on STDOUT and the program to
> stay in the foreground.

That's fairly sensible.

> 2) Have a ./configure argument to override the default tpop3d.conf
> location.

Yep, that does need doing....

> On the apop-only front, I notice that qpopper (I hate to always compare,
> but it's what I used the most so far) doesn't disconnect after the 'you
> must use apop only' message.  Perhaps that should be configurable.  I
> don't know what the RFC has to say on the matter, though.
    [...]
> Does anyone else have an opinion as to whether that'd be useful or whether
> it's just fluff?

Errm. I don't think that the RFC has much to say on this
matter.

I think that disconnecting is the only sensible thing to
do in this case. Any program which is going to try to
choose between APOP and USER/PASS is going to send the
APOP command first.

--
A cynic is a man who, upon smelling flowers, looks around for a coffin.
(Mencken)