[tpop3d-discuss] segfault on bad password

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 20:14:56 +0100

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:06:55AM -0400, Michael Klatsky wrote:
> One other note, which I believe is separate- it doesn't appear that
> tpop3d is releasing it's connections- I've got 160 connections in
> TIME_WAIT since about 1:30 am when we put the popper into place. And we
> only have around 2,000 users on this box.

Looking again at this, how many logins do you get in any
given period? The TIME_WAIT state lasts between 1 and 4
minutes (depending on system and configuration-- see
Stevens) and so you would expect the number of TIME_WAIT
connections to be the same as the number of POP logins
during that period, if it is always the server side which
closes the connection.

160 connections over (say) 2 minutes would correspond to
your users checking mail, on average, about every 25
minutes.

--
``It doesn't matter how you vote,
  either way your planet is doomed.'' (from `The Simpsons')