[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d - new installation

Dave Baker dave at dsb3.com
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:49:56 -0400

Just wanted to drop a line to the list after having just installed tpop3d.
I spent some time trying to choose between the pop servers on the market,
and finally went with tpop3d for two reasons.

1) It's got the auth_perl module - perfect to tie in with my virtual
server config that's using exim's perl hooks.

2) The web site talks about integrated ssl support being in the 'todo'
list :-)

There are a couple of things added to my own todo list.  If no-one's
already working on these, and anyone else is interested in it,  I might
start hacking and submit a patch.

1) APOP only mode.  With this, as soon as the client sends a "USER"
statement the server will immediately fail, to try to discourage the
password being sent in cleartext by mistake.

2) Transfer stats mode.  Qpopper has a handy log format that just details
username, mailbox size, bytes transferred.  I'd like to implement this to
let me monitor network usage without requiring full -v output.  (There were
a couple of mails on list regarding this on May 13th)

If anyone is interested in more examples of perl_auth I'd be happy to
share what I have.

Dave

--

- Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  dave@devbrain.com  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D