[tpop3d-discuss] POP before SMTP with MySQL

Dom Gallagher dgallagher at starnetusa.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:59:08 -0500

Not a problem (for once!), more of a 'thank you'.

I've been looking at POP before SMTP as I'm getting an increasing number of
users 'roaming', and I myself am on a dynamic IP on DSL.  I'm using Postfix
on that particular machine, and have no immediate wish to change to another
daemon due to the (very) custom config.

The 'standard' methods of POP before SMTP (including DRAC) involve the use
of Berkeley DB maps, which have the unfortunate side effect of causing the
SMTP daemon to reload when they are changed (to read new maps).  I use
tpop3d on several machines with 100% MySQL authentication, and have read
the notes on the onlogin hooks that imply the MySQL hooks will be executed
for every login.

Long story short, I set up tpop3d with mysql authentication, without an
APOP or pass query, but with an onlogin query, and I'm now able to insert a
MySQL row whenever someone logs in.  An external cron job retires stale links.

Thanks for the (perhaps unintended) feature; I'm impressed with how
flexible this daemon is.  I hope to come up with a Postfix/MySQL/tpop3d
FAQ/HOWTO at some point (workload permitting), but if anyone has questions,
please feel free to ask.
--
Dom Gallagher (dgallagher@starnetusa.net)
Development Engineering

This message is sent in confidence to the addressees.
It may contain privileged, proprietary, or confidential information.