[tpop3d-discuss] hostname?

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 00:12:21 +0100

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 11:59:55PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 06:10:53PM +0100, Chris Elsworth wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 05:19:00PM +0200, Klaus Rene Hansen [ Sconk ] wrote:
> > > how do i change the hostname (pukkelhval) to some thing else?
> > > POP3< +OK <a48bc8aa5c46587b6cd6cd1e971f054c@pukkelhval>
> >
> > I believe it uses the value from /etc/resolv.conf listed as domain:
> >
> > domain  shagged.org
>
> Having just been poking about in mutt sources, another possibility is
> "search" in /etc/resolv.conf, after looking for "domain". Debian has a

Ugh.

> /etc/mailname file which is created during install and is a single line
> consisting of hostname.domain (or just hostname if no domain was given).

Sensible, but too complicated for this application.

> Incidently the domainname field in the utsname structure returned by
> uname(2) is a GNUism.

-- so it is. Solaris's domainname(1m) appears to ask the
resolver(!) for this information, presumably via
resolv.conf. Mad.

My thinking is that you can just put (domain) in the
config file.

Teach a man to fish, and he gets hit by an American nuclear submarine.
  (seen on the internet)