[tpop3d-discuss] Re: Bug in tpop3d

Christopher E. Stith mischief at motion.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:14:30 -0600

Thus spake Chris Lightfoot (chris@ex-parrot.com):

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 09:20:00AM -0300, Everton wrote:

> >     So, the tpop3d not found a "\n\nFrom ", and skip one
> > or more messages... because only exists, in this case,
> > "\nFrom ", understand!?!
> >     I=B4m work in this problem, and resolve the bug... maybe!! :-)

This would appear to be more of a bug in your MDA than your POP3
server, since the BSD mailspool file should always indicate a new
message with '\n\nFrom '.

> talks about this issue, as does various content on the
> Exim list (try Google). It appears to me now -- as it did
> when I wrote the code in the first place -- that the
> consensus is that the separator is `\n\nFrom '.

This is correct.

> If this works for you, fine, but I'm wary of integrating
> this into tpop3d to work around a bug in vdeliver.

I would say it is a bug in vdeliver. The best place for it to be
fixed, therefore, is in vdeliver. For the thoroughly paranoid,
it's not that difficult to write an MDA which accepts a new
message on STDIN, locks a spoolfile, and writes a message. I have
one in Perl which I use with Postfix. There's not much reason, as
I see it, to patch TPOP3D for vdeliver's problem(s).

Chris (Lightfoot) has enough irons in his fire right now to improve
upon TPOP3D itself without worrying about fixing another project's
issues. After all, the best thing about TPOP3D is that it is so
actively developed and keeps getting better at such a rapid pace.

Chris Stith

--=20
Even in the worst of times, there is always someone who's
never had it better. Even in the best of times, there is
always someone who's never had it worse.