[tpop3d-discuss] Compilation trouble on Solaris

Martin Schmitt martin at schmitt.li
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:53:25 +0100

* Chris Lightfoot wrote/schrieb:

> Sorry, known bug, you need -lrt. Try pasting the above gcc
> command line and appending -lrt on the end, and see if it
> works.=20

Bingo, instant solution. Well, at least I see that the tpop3d binary has
appeared. ;-)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to look further into tpop3d until tonight or
even tomorrow.

> OOI, what do you want to do with auth-other? If your
> authenticator is likely to be of general interest, would
> you be prepared to contribute it to the distribution?

I'm always w=EDlling to contribute. The real question is if my authenticator
is of general interest. ;-)

I'm doing some web-hosting on a very small scale, mostly for the fun of it,
since I rake in most of my $$ as a contractor. My problem is that clients=
=20
want to log on using SSH or SCP (don't ask what went on when I disabled=20
Telnet and FTP quite some time ago) to update their web pages, and at the=
=20
same time they want to read their Mail through POP3, using the favourite=20
Windoze client they've been using since the end of World War II. If I let=
=20
them use POP3, I might as well leave Telnet and FTP open, since their=20
credentials are sent plaintext often enough. =20

What I need is a separate password base for POP3. I'm far from sure about
the implementation, but I'm currently favouring a user-maintained
"$HOME/.mailpass" that they may update through some custom Perl scripts
which check for example if they really aren't using their Unix password for
POP3 authentication.=20

It's got to be simple since I'm not doing this fulltime. If I adopt some=20
authentication-de-jour scheme that the newsgroups and magazines are=20
currently running wild about, I probably won't be able to grok my own setup=
=20
once I haven't needed to look at it for a year. I'm also not caring about
virtual domains, since basically everyone on the machine knows what's going
on with his domain and doesn't want the illusion of having an own server
for himself.

I'm favouring the "other" auth over the integrated perl interpreter, since
having perl inside the POP3 daemon at this point just seems a bit hard to=
=20
swallow for me. Since Performance is not an issue (100 Users on a 500 MHz=
=20
UltraSparc) and the authenticator interface looks fairly simple I'd rather
do an authenticator in Perl completely on my own.

As soon as I have something to show, I'll forward it to this list.

Thanks Chris,

-martin

--=20
REALLY, adv.=20
     Apparently.=20
(Ambrose Bierce, The devil's dictionary)