[tpop3d-discuss] Re: [Exim] Some interesting problems I ran into today regarding Exim SMTP-Auth, tpop3d, and vmail-sql

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:23:47 +0000

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:12:05AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Daniel Einspanjer wrote:
>
> > So.  I prefixed the password with {md5} in my exim.conf, but it still
> > didn't work.  I'm not one hundred percent positive, but I believe it is
> > because exim is using a base 64 digest whereas vmail-sql/tpop3d is using
> > a base 32..
>
> I thought MD5 was defined as an algorithm without any options. I
> implemented it from RFC 1321, "The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm".

I think that Daniel is referring to the action of the
crypteq function. He is correct in stating that vmail-sql
and tpop3d expect an MD5 password to be of the form
{md5}<hex string>, whereas (I believe) exim/LDAP expect it
to be of the form {md5}<base64 string>.

(On the face of it, this is a bug in tpop3d/vmail-sql and
may get fixed, though it will require an ugly backward
compatible hack....)

See Paul Warren's earlier email for an example of how to
implement suitable authentication using perl function
expansions.

--
 ``This tree is deciduous. It is not dead.
   Leaves will appear in the spring.'' (label on sapling)