[tpop3d-discuss] TPOP3D+VMAIL-SQL+MAILDIR

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:54:23 +0000

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 02:43:48PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I have several virtual accounts whose mail is in
> /var/spool/virtual/$(domain)/$(user).
> I manage these accounts using vmail-sql.
>
> I am wondering if someone has already done this such that the mail can be
> delivered to a maildir format for virtual users, something almost the same -
> /var/spool/virtual/$(domain)/$(user)/Maildir
>
> It would appear that to do this one has to change the
> code for vmail-sql and tpop3d and even modify the MTA
> configuration (I use Exim) to deliver to Maildir, yes?

You don't need to modify the tpop3d code-- just change the
rows in the database to refer to .../Maildir, change the
auth-mysql-...-query directives in the config file to
return `maildir' rather than `bsd', and away you go. You
can also mix mailbox types by putting the mailbox type in
another database field.

You may need to make minor changes to the vmail-sql code.

> My main plan is to give these virtual users webmail
> access using courier-imap (authmysql).

OK. My long term plan is to implement an IMAP server for
this application. But this will obviously make some
demands upon my Copious Free Time(TM).

--
 ``Speculation, by definition, is untrue.''
   (Peter Mandelson, in a BBC radio interview)