[tpop3d-discuss] ldap virtual auth plugin : near release

Prune prune at lecentre.net
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:16:43 +0100

--------------010909080104080304010605

re,

Chris Lightfoot wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 02:46:37PM +0100, Prune wrote:
>    [...]
>
>>I subscribe this list 2 years ago. I'm not an ldap expert, I learn with
>>what I see and hear. Most of ldap implemented tools act as this :
>>
>>-> bind as a privileged user
>>or
>>-> bind anonymously
>>-> search for attribute
>>-> get result attributes
>>   -> re-bind as user
>>   or
>>   -> compare userPassword with the one supplied by the user
>>
>>Some tools offer both, some do not...
>>I don't think there are a better way than another...
>>

>FWIW, the Apache auth_ldap appears to use the search/bind
>model. It seems like a reasonable idea to me (as a total
>LDAP neophyte), I suppose. It would be nice to implement
>both, I guess. I may look at doing that.
>
>Presumably you can set ACLs so that (say) the email
>address and name of a user are publically available, but
>another attribute -- a password hash, say -- is available
>only to the administrator and the user as whom the POP
>server binds to the server?

the fact is that I prefer not to allow anything to users account.
In my directory (but anybody can do as they want) only some special
users have acces to some attributes.
so :
-anonymous : nothing
-users : bind only
-special user 'tpop3d' : read on mail, password, maildrop....

As I said before, even if my host if protected from internet, I will not
allow anonymous users to have access to my list of users.
I will also not allow users to have access at theire informations.
maybe I'm paranoid, but this seems to be the most secure way.

Prune

--------------010909080104080304010605

<head>
</head>
re,<br>
Chris Lightfoot wrote:<br>
the fact is that I prefer not to allow anything to users account.<br>
In my directory (but anybody can do as they want) only some special users
have acces to some attributes.<br>
so :<br>
-anonymous : nothing<br>
-users : bind only<br>
-special user 'tpop3d' : read on mail, password, maildrop....<br>
As I said before, even if my host if protected from internet, I will not
allow anonymous users to have access to my list of users.<br>
I will also not allow users to have access at theire informations.<br>
maybe I'm paranoid, but this seems to be the most secure way.<br>
Prune<br>

--------------010909080104080304010605--