[tpop3d-discuss] ldap virtual auth plugin : near release

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 02:55:47 -0800

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:45:42AM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 02:43:51AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:31:50AM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > > ... And a general question. Wouldn't it be better to allow
> > > the administrator to specify the whole LDAP filter
> > > strings, based on insertions like $(user) etc., in the
> > > config file? Then your scheme would be represented by
> > >
> > >     auth-ldap-filter:   (mail=$(local_part)@$(domain))
> > >
> > > and other users could invent whatever filters they wanted?
> >
> > Another technique in LDAP is to store the filters themselves in some
> > part of the directory. This removes the need for config file editing,
> > server restarts etc and provides the opportunity for dynamic directory
> > structures.
>
> Ah-- is there a standard format for the filters and
> substitution strings?

The filters are standard LDAP and anything beyond that is your own
devising -- I was really giving the example as an illustration of some
other way of storing configuration data rather than in a text file
somewhere which, in some cases, may reduce flexibility.

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is the square root of my ass? Sure, sure."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/