[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d 1.4.1pre3

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:55:56 +0000

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 08:59:03AM +0100, Martin Schmitt wrote:
> * Chris Lightfoot wrote/schrieb:
>
> > Oh dear. Again I make the foolish error of assuming that
> > ``Unix'' presents a ``standard'' ``interface'' for the
> > applications programmer. Apply the following patch, or
> > replace references to LOG_AUTHPRIV with LOG_AUTH.
>
> :%s/LOG_AUTHPRIV/LOG_AUTH/g      ;-)

Well, it's nice to see people using a proper editor :)

> Compiles fine now, though I need to bring the other fluff around it in
> place so I can see if it runs. Early Sunday morning, I hope I can figure it
> out again. *yawn*

Jolly good. I don't do much testing on Solaris, I'm
afraid....

> > > P.S.: What platform is tpop3d being developed on? Just curious.
> >
> > Linux. It's a nice system to develop for:
> >
> >     - you get a C compiler with the system...
> >     - and it's not bollocks;
> >     - you get a reasonable C library...
> >     - although it's full of security holes (what isn't?);
> >     - it's standards compliant, in the ``I love standards:
> >       there are so many to choose from'' sense;
> >     - it's not Solaris.
> >
> > Others might argue that all of the above are points
> > against Linux....
>
> Oh, there are binary packages of GCC 2+3 for Solaris available that in turn
> can build themselves. So no problem with the compiler.

Yeah. I like sunfreeware.com -- saved me a lot of hassle
when I had to deal with someone's balky Solaris system a
little while ago.

> I enjoy Linux on my workstations and on servers which I have direct access
> to as much as the next guy, but the remote management features of the Sun
> boxes just kick any Linux PC's ass out the door. I don't take it
> religiously, though. Only hoping to pick the right tool for a job I want to
> do. :-)

<ot type="may develop into OS flame war but it's my damn mailing list">

Quite. It's the politics that annoys me most about Linux.
The thing that really irritates me about Solaris, on the
other hand, is the fact that once you've got a Solaris
machine in front of you, you have days of work ahead of
you to turn it into a machine which is actually useable.

It may be ridiculous that your average Linux system comes
with seventeen text editors and four document processing
systems, but at least if you want to edit text or process
documents you don't have a day's work ahead of you finding
and installing the software....

I expect that at this stage the FreeBSD crown will start
jumping up and down and shouting ``ports'', so I'll give
up now.

</ot>

--
 ``If loss of sight occurs, see a doctor.'' (information on medication)