[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d 1.4.1pre3

Martin Schmitt martin at schmitt.li
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:59:03 +0100

* Chris Lightfoot wrote/schrieb:

> Oh dear. Again I make the foolish error of assuming that
> ``Unix'' presents a ``standard'' ``interface'' for the
> applications programmer. Apply the following patch, or
> replace references to LOG_AUTHPRIV with LOG_AUTH.

:%s/LOG_AUTHPRIV/LOG_AUTH/g      ;-)

Compiles fine now, though I need to bring the other fluff around it in
place so I can see if it runs. Early Sunday morning, I hope I can figure it
out again. *yawn*

> > P.S.: What platform is tpop3d being developed on? Just curious.
>
> Linux. It's a nice system to develop for:
>
>     - you get a C compiler with the system...
>     - and it's not bollocks;
>     - you get a reasonable C library...
>     - although it's full of security holes (what isn't?);
>     - it's standards compliant, in the ``I love standards:
>       there are so many to choose from'' sense;
>     - it's not Solaris.
>
> Others might argue that all of the above are points
> against Linux....

Oh, there are binary packages of GCC 2+3 for Solaris available that in turn
can build themselves. So no problem with the compiler.

I enjoy Linux on my workstations and on servers which I have direct access
to as much as the next guy, but the remote management features of the Sun
boxes just kick any Linux PC's ass out the door. I don't take it
religiously, though. Only hoping to pick the right tool for a job I want to
do. :-)

-martin