[tpop3d-discuss] Re: Hiding identifying information (was: Make tpop3d not run as root, and send another banner..)

Davi davi at hotpop.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:29:43 -0300

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Davi Arnaut wrote:<br>
  <title></title>
   Chris Lightfoot wrote:<br>
 cite="mid20020809153302.GA23883@aquila.esc.cam.ac.uk">
    <pre wrap="">On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 04:24:25PM +0100, Chris Elsworth wrote:
  </pre>

      <pre wrap="">A couple of sacrifices like this are more than acceptable, I think, in
order to gain increased security. The option is there, if you don't
use APOP, then you may wish to use it :) I wouldn't say its a reason
not to put it in, though.

    </pre>

    <pre wrap=""><!---->
I'm not entirely certain what you want to achieve here. Is
it,

    - make tpop3d indistinguishable from other POP3
      servers, so that it is difficult to establish what
      software a machine is running; or</pre>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; !- Yes...<br>
 cite="mid20020809153302.GA23883@aquila.esc.cam.ac.uk">
    <pre wrap="">
    - make it impossible to establish the email domain
      name associated with a machine?</pre>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ! - Yes...greater when working with webhosting...<br>
 cite="mid20020809153302.GA23883@aquila.esc.cam.ac.uk">
    <pre wrap="">
While I wouldn't quarrel with the desire to do either of
those things -- though they are of perhaps questionable
usefulness -- they are not necessarily best achieved in
the way that you suggest.

In particular,

    - Establishing that a server is tpop3d is probably
      best done by looking at the responses to commands
      (whether snide or not). If you want to make tpop3d
      look like another server, you'll need to alter at
      least the response messages which may get sent
      during the authentication phase.</pre>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ! - Yes...i have already done this :-). I created a separete file
for messages,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; so i could be easy to translate tpop3d too, using like gettext<br>
 cite="mid20020809153302.GA23883@aquila.esc.cam.ac.uk">
    <pre wrap="">
    - If you don't want to give out your domain name, you
      can just set the domain name which tpop3d sends
      using the listen-address config directive; in the
      CVS version of tpop3d, you can use the `mass virtual
      hosting' option to send one based upon the address
      to which a client connects.</pre>
&nbsp;&nbsp; ! - I dont want to alter tpop3d.conf every time a create a new domain,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; as i work with webhosting, its everthing automatic, just insert into the<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mysql table and everthing work fines..<br>
 cite="mid20020809153302.GA23883@aquila.esc.cam.ac.uk">
    <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For the APOP thing you can solve this banner question using the style
of Exim,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Quoted from exim spec:<br>
  <h3>smtp_banner</h3>
initial positive response to an SMTP connection. The default setting is:</p>
  <pre>&nbsp;&nbsp;smtp_banner = $primary_hostname ESMTP Exim $version_number \
&nbsp;&nbsp;  $tod_full
  </pre>
a multiline response to the initial SMTP connection, use ``\n'' in the string
at appropriate points, but not at the end. Note that the 220 code is not included
in this string. Exim adds it automatically (several times in the case of
a multiline response).</p>
So you if the person wants apop, the person puts a $time on the banner (not
just useful for apop),<br>
and a lot more..<br>
Peace,<br>
Davi Arnaut<br>