[tpop3d-discuss] problem with password containing spaces

Tadas ̃elionis spam at fluxus.lt
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:12:20 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:48:34PM +0200, Tadas ̃elionis wrote:
> >

> > at lest versions 1.3.5 & 1.4.1 of tpop3d can't handle password containi=
ng
> > space because of POP command parameter parsing mechanism.
>
> This is left unclear in the spec (RFC 1939)--
>
>   Since the PASS command has exactly one argument, a POP3
>   server may treat spaces in the argument as part of the
>   password, instead of as argument separators.

most of them do, atleast the ones that i have used.

> I made the decision to make the command parsing
> consistent rather than to adopt this special case. It
> could be changed, I suppose.

it makes sense to do so.
currently i'm considering to go back to gnupopd+vmail, which is far from
perfect too, or to patch tpop3d by myself, but it would take less time to
do so for you i guess...

> Note that this does not affect the APOP mechanism
> (obviously).

that's no real help.

> > kinda serious bug, affects a lot of users...
>
> Really? I was under the impression that most users had
> passwords like `secret', `hello' and `123'.

well, yes. when you have 1000 users and 50 comes to complain is kinda alot
;)
and we don't allow simple passwords anyway

tm