[tpop3d-discuss] next release....

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:29:13 +0100

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 09:27:54AM -0600, Matthew Reimer wrote:
> Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:33:03AM -0600, Matthew Reimer wrote:
> >
> >Errm. I'm not sure what you mean by $serverhost -- the
> >actual host name of the machine on which tpop3d is
> >running? Presumably the idea here is to have one database
    [...]
> Basically, yes, the same idea as $clienthost but for the local side of
> the socket connection. I don't trust DNS so I'd only want to use the IP
> address (rather than the hostname).
>
> We use it for virtual hosting POP3. We have thousands of accounts dating
> back to the old days before we could use @domain.com in the POP3
> username. It's not practical for us to require them to all reconfigure
> their mail clients to add @domain.com, so we have to continue to support
> one POP3 "namespace" per IP address. If only tpop3d had been around in
> 1995.:-)
>
> I may be able to get you patches today.

Errm. I guess that you're listening on 0.0.0.0, rather
than having zillions of listeners. I guess tpop3d should
have better support for inferring the domain name on a
per-connection basis in this situation. But yeah, that's
fine, I'll accept the patch.

--
 The ship sank, the South lost and the sled got tossed in the fire.
 Get over it.