[tpop3d-discuss] next release....

Matthew Reimer mreimer at vpop.net
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:27:54 -0600

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:33:03AM -0600, Matthew Reimer wrote:
>
>>It would be helpful to us to also have $serverhost available to auth
>>methods (particularly auth_mysql). If I send you patches, will you
>>consider it?
>

> Errm. I'm not sure what you mean by $serverhost -- the
> actual host name of the machine on which tpop3d is
> running? Presumably the idea here is to have one database
> and numerous POP server machines? Sounds reasonable; I'll
> accept a patch.
>
> (If you mean something else, tell me what it is....)

Basically, yes, the same idea as $clienthost but for the local side of
the socket connection. I don't trust DNS so I'd only want to use the IP
address (rather than the hostname).

We use it for virtual hosting POP3. We have thousands of accounts dating
back to the old days before we could use @domain.com in the POP3
username. It's not practical for us to require them to all reconfigure
their mail clients to add @domain.com, so we have to continue to support
one POP3 "namespace" per IP address. If only tpop3d had been around in
1995. :-)

I may be able to get you patches today.

Matt