[tpop3d-discuss] How to setup a hashed directory structure?

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 00:39:36 +0100

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 05:04:09PM -0500, William Devine, II wrote:
> I have a virtual hosting site and have user accounts setup in 'hashed' directories based on their first two username characters.
> IE   username of       william
> would be under /home/httpd/userpages/w/wi/william
> and referenced as http://www.whateversite.com/william/
> and I then use mod_rewrite and a perl script to rewrite    william     to /w/wi/william
> I want to be able to deposit user's email into a subdirectory called '.mail' under /w/wi/william .  I'd then have a rule in apache to disable download of this directory or any files under it (just in case.)  Then all email for that user would be dropped inside this directory so it will count against their quota when the upload additional files for their website.
>
> Possible?

Absolutely. If you are using Unix users, then do something
like

    mailbox: bsd:/home/httpd/userpages/$(user[0])/$(user[0])$(user[1])/$(user)/.mail

in the tpop3d.conf file. If you are using vmail-sql, you
just need to arrange that the mailspool specified for the
given user is in the location you suggest. How you get
mail delivered to the right place is a separate matter,
but the exim config docs would be a good place to start.

--
 ``... that night when, according to legend, an RCA Marketing Manager
   received a phone call from a disturbed customer. His 301 [typesetter]