[tpop3d-discuss] tpop3d, sendmail and owner of mailbox

Chris Elsworth chris at shagged.org
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:36:57 +0000

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:51:47AM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> The reason that mail-group can be chosen in the above way
> is that on some systems, /var/spool/mail is group mail,
> g+w, so that a program needs to be setgid mail to write a
> lock file. On other systems, /var/spool/mail is 1777, a
> far more sensible default, and anyone can write a lock
> file into /var/spool/mail.

Not to start an argument or anything, but I share the view that the only
mode 1777 directory on the entire system should be /tmp.

Any mode 1777 directory has the potential of being filled up (by anyone
who wants to), thus rendering the partition useless for valid applications
- I could fill up the drive with any old file in /var/spool/mail if its
mode 1777, and from that point on, nobody gets any mail.

Group mail, and g+w, is, in my opinion, the more sensible protection
scheme. Opinions will vary :)

--
Chris Elsworth  -  Software & Systems Developer  /  Systems Administrator