[tpop3d-discuss] How do i change the syslog facility?

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 01:28:30 +0000

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 05:36:11PM -0700, Ben Schumacher wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Chris Elsworth wrote:
> > Back to the point - logging directly to a file does have its uses, it cuts
> > down on overhead that busy systems cannot afford to have.
> >
> > Just make sure there's an easy way to make it open a new log - SIGUSR or
> > so, for example, should stop logging to the current file and begin a new
> > one (usually sent after log rotation scripts run).
>
> Not to start a religious argument here (although I have a feeling I
> might), my personal preference is a system more in line with the
> multilog portion of the daemontools
> package. (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html)

And there was I, idly thinking `I bet Dan Bernstein has
come up with a new and different approach to this'....

> That being said, I plan (actually, I've already started) to make the
> necessary changes to tpop3d to support this. It'll be through the addition
> of a command-line argument which will make it easy to turn this feature on
> and off. Of course, after I make the changes, I'll post a patch to the
> list for those interested.

I have made a structural change to the logging code which
should make it easier to integrate things of this sort.
With this change integrated, but none of the SSL stuff
yet,

    http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/tpop3d/tpop3d-1.4.1pre1.tar.gz

... having done this, it should be possible to change only
logging.c and make everything go as you wish. (You'll need
to change signals.c too if you want to have the logging
code restart on signals, of course.)

--
 ``There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy
   to use as his telephone.  That wish has come true, since I no longer know