[tpop3d-discuss] Re: OFFTOPIC: reply-to munging

Marcin Sochacki wanted at gnu.univ.gda.pl
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:53:39 +0200

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:25:56AM +0100, Paul Warren wrote:
> I'm going round in circles, but suppose that the user really had wanted
> to email Chris privately, that Chris had set his Reply-To: because
> he was unable to set his From: address as he wished, and that this list
> munged Reply-Tos - how would he achieve it?  It's not as far fetched as
> it sounds.

It _is_ far fetched :)
I can set my From: freely, I can't see what's the problem.

And also take a look at traffic generated with Mutt's group-reply feature.
Not only you send the mail to the list, but also put CC: to private
addresses. Usually it doubles the traffic generated, and people get
duplicates of mail.

>  - Reply-to munging leads to accidental, and occassionally embarrassing
>    on-list replies.

Let me cite you: if you don't check what's in Reply-To then you are going
to have serious problems with using email in general.

>  - You know I'm right :-)

Obviously, there are some lists, where Reply-To munging can be considered
harmful (guru lists, announcement-type lists, etc.) The make maybe 5-10%
of all lists. For most uses munging is USEFUL.

Wanted

  |  Sekcja Obslugi Informatycznej Biblioteki Glownej     !!!  !!! .!!!!!!  +
  |  Uniwersytet Gdanski                                  !!!  !!! !!!      |
  +  tel. (058) 5509436                                   !!!  !!! !!!  `!! |