[tpop3d-discuss] log message question

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 20:31:14 +0100

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 12:25:22PM -0700, Nancy Pettigrew wrote:
> Under what circumstances will this log line appear?
>
> The comment in the code is "/* Peer closed the
> connection */"; the user claims that their pop session
> failed (of course, they did not give me the specific error
> message, argh).

Well, the message indicates that the client disconnected,
but that may well have been because it saw something it
did not like :)

> Jul  6 04:38:20 ender tpop3d[20556]: connections_post_select: connection_read: client [7]blar@chuck.net(192.168.4.101): closed connection

Exactly as it says. The message is printed when read(2) is
called on the connection, and returns zero. Did you have
verbose logging turned on, and, if so, what did the server
report the client saying prior to its disconnecting?

I note that the client had already authenticated (from the
presence of a username in the log line). Do you know
whether they had downloaded any messages?

> I'm using version 1.3.2.

I would advise an upgrade to 1.3.3, which fixes a few
things.

--
Chris Lightfoot -- www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
 ``I wouldn't call Civil Service delays `tactics', Minister,'' he replied