[tpop3d-discuss] auth_mysql trouble

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:45:50 -0800

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:50:19PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:36:14AM -0800, Mark Moseley wrote:
> > I was a little curious myself as to why it was the case that you needed a
> > domain to get auth-mysql to run. I figured it out only after poking through
> > the auth-mysql code and adding liberal error reporting and finally noticed
> > the statement: if (domain == user || !*domain) return NULL; when the light
> > went on. But I still wondered as to why it was the case. Might be a good FAQ
> > entry, esp. for people who fire up tpop3d and just telnet to port 110 to
> > test it out.
>
> Hmm. I had thought that it was reasonably obvious that
> it's for virtual domains only, though I suppose in
> retrospect that this isn't the case. Most systems where
> there is only one domain use Unix user authentication.
> I'll add it to the FAQ, anyway.

FWIW, there is quite some appeal to me to not use unix user
authentication even with a single domain. Clogging up /etc/passwd with
non-shell & non-system userids was never something I was particularly
comfortably with.

YMMV of course :-)

Paul

> --
>  It is much easier to apologise than to get permission (Grace Hopper)

I always liked "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for
permission". Heh. Definitely a policy to live by...

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is knowledge? A silly hat worn by priests."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/