[tpop3d-discuss] Using maildir

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 01:02:58 +0100

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 09:04:56PM +0200, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> ok, it works. I've put a --disable-mailbox-bsd to the configure-line.
> Docs say both should do simoultanously, so maybe something is broken.

Yes, this is a... feature... of auth-mysql: it selects a
`default' mailbox type for users who authenticate via it.
The global mailbox setting is ignored. This should
probably be emphasised in the documentation. Removing BSD
mailspool support makes maildir the default; you can also
change this by reordering the list in mailbox.c. So yes,
it is broken, a little bit at least ;)

auth_mysql is quite closely tied to a particular
configuration (vmail-sql), and is not really as general as
might be desirable. That's why auth-other and auth-perl
exist. It would not be difficult to modify the auth_mysql
code to select a particular mailbox type; if you want to
do this (for instance to support BSD mailboxes for unix
users and maildir ones for virtual domain users), modify
the calls to authcontext_new in auth_mysql.c to select a
mailbox type explicitly.

--
Chris Lightfoot -- www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
 All human actions are equivalent, and all are doomed to failure.