[tpop3d-discuss] primary keys too short

Marcin Sochacki wanted at gnu.univ.gda.pl
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:32:46 +0200

In db/init-db.sql for vmail-sql-0.4 I've found, the following SQL code:

# local POP boxes (virtual)
create table popbox (
        domain_name varchar(255) not null,      # domain this refers to
        local_part varchar(255) not null,       # username for this POP box
        password_hash varchar(255),             # hash of this user's password
        mbox_name varchar(255),                 # appended to domain.path
        primary key (domain_name(8), local_part(8))
) ;

The primary key constructed from the first 8 chars is really too small!
I've many accounts in one domain with local parts like:
  example.john
  example.mary
etc.

MySQL wouldn't allow me to put the key, because the items are duplicate.
I suggest giving at least 32 chars for local_part by default.

What are those keys used for, anyway? In previous versions they were
unavailable and everything seemed to work ok.

Marcin