[Iftop-users] iftop is overloaded when the bandwidth is 5Gbit/s or more

Nguyễn Anh Dũng anhdung051098 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 05:03:20 BST 2024

Hi Paul Warren and everyone

- I'm having a problem when using iftop to analyze bandwidth greater than
5Gbit/s, it will slow down and give non-standard bandwidth. The total
output bandwidth at this time is only about 1Gbit/s.

- As far as I know, iftop runs 2 threads, 1 thread to analyze bandwidth and
1 thread to display, so if the CPU has many CPU cores, iftop will not use
all of those CPU cores.

- I also thought about filtering by subnet (-F) to divide the bandwidth
into smaller amounts, it is more effective. But still not optimized.
Because I have a number of IPs with bandwidth up to 5Gbit/s, I don't know
how to filter or divide that bandwidth.

- Now I'm thinking about optimizing by making iftop multi-threaded on the
CPU, thereby expanding performance through more powerful hardware. I tried
editing the source code iftop but it didn't work, and got many errors. Hope
to get everyone's support

Thanks all

[image: Biểu tượng Cộng đồng đã xác minh]