[Iftop-users] Simple text output

Frédéric Perrin fred at fperrin.net
Sun Nov 22 20:05:17 GMT 2015

Hello Philippe,

On 22/11/2015 14:35, philippe at faure.ca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking to find a way to record data usage from a specific device
> on my network. Ideally the out out would be a text file with the total
> usage. Is there a way to have iftop run in the background and have it
> update a file.

Does the -t option to iftop do what you want? You would redirect the
output to a log file or pipe it to a script.

> If not, is there another utility that people know about the might be
> able to help me?

Another solution if you're trying to do traffic accounting is something
like net-acct. On a students' network, we used to log something like
(timestamp, source IP & port, destination IP & port, volume), and then
use this to hunt bandwidth hogs.

Cheers,
Fred.