[Iftop-users] 1.0pre3 released

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2014 15:35:43 +0000

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the feedback.

On 05/01/2014 13:04, Markus Koschany wrote:
> I have tested the latest release and so far I have found only some small issues.
>
> - The file configure.in is deprecated and upstream now recommends to use configure.ac instead.
>    As far I know simply renaming the file should do the trick. See also
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2013-05/msg00049.html for more information.

I'll take a look at doing that.  I always find autoconf/automake a
painful black art, but hopefully this will be straightforward.

> - The new -t option is not mentioned in iftop.8. I have written a small patch for the man page.

Thank you.

> - There are several compiler warnings from gcc 4.8. Most of them are rather cosmetic issues
>    and easy to fix by removing unused variables/functions or adding prototypes to header files.
>    gcc-warnings.txt contains a list of those warnings. The gcc-warnings.patch fixes
>
>    warning: suggest parentheses around '&&' within '||' [-Wparentheses]
>
>    for example.

Someone else had already mentioned that - thanks for the patch.

I'll review the other warnings.

> Do you have an estimated release date for 1.0? I could also upload ~pre3 to Debian unstable first and let a
> wider audience test this new release. If there were no major complaints, let's say within 4 weeks,
> 1.0 would be ready for a release.

No specific date other than ASAP.  There's enough come up in pre3 to
warrant a pre4, which will then hopefully be released unchanged as 1.0.

I would expect any issues introduced in pre3 to be build-time rather
than run time, and I've now had good feedback on that.  The introduction
of the "-t" mode was more of a change than I was planning to make at
this stage, but I'm pretty confident that it won't result in regressions
in any functionality that was present in pre2.

Hopefully I'll get a pre4 out today, and if we're happy that it builds
OK on all platforms that earlier releases have then I'll press the
button on 1.0 within a week or so.

Paul