[Iftop-users] 1.0pre3 released

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Wed, 01 Jan 2014 23:09:01 +0000

Hi Dago,

On 01/01/2014 20:34, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> I am trying to use iftop on Solaris and found some issues:
>
> 1. I have ares available as libcares from http://c-ares.haxx.se
>     For this to work I added cares as library to look for in configure.in
>     I also needed to use AC_CONFIG_HEADERS or my autoreconf didn’t work with
>     a message AM_CONFIG_HEADER being deprecated.
>       http://sourceforge.net/p/gar/code/22770/tree//csw/mgar/pkg/iftop/trunk/files/0001-Also-look-in-libcares.patch#l18

OK - I'll merge that one in.

> 2. In Solaris SIOCGIFFLAGS is in <sys/sockio.h> which needs to be included. Probably a
>     check in configure would be better than my hack from here:
>       http://sourceforge.net/p/gar/code/22770/tree//csw/mgar/pkg/iftop/trunk/files/0003-Add-sys-sockio.h-to-have-SIOCGIFFLAGS.patch

Ah yes, I think I've seen that before, but was reluctant to put it in
as-is in case it breaks other platforms.  As you say, autoconf magic is
needed.

> 3. Nonetheless I don’t get interface statistics to be displayed other than „0“. This also
>     has been reported in a long-standing bug report:
>       https://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=4557
>     Do you have an advice how I can further track the issue? I can offer an account
>     on our buildfarm if that helps, lots of other projects also do:
>       http://www.opencsw.org/extend-it/signup/to-upstream-maintainers/

That might be helpful, although I don't know if iftop needs root to run
effectively on Solaris?

In terms of tracking the issue, we need to figure out if pcap is giving
us the packets and we're erroneously junking them, or if it's simply not
giving us the packets.

Adding some debug at the very beginning of the relevant packet handler
(handle_*_packet() in iftop.c. You can add some debug to packet_init to
find out which packet handler it's actually using.

Paul