[Iftop-users] CPU use bug?

Alex Page a.t.page at gmail.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 21:56:37 -0500

Paul,

Thanks, host resolution appears to be the issue!  I didn't test toggling
it in iftop, because actually I switched routers and the problem
disappeared.  I have to assume that the issue was related to DNS
resolution, since that's the only way I can see the router being
involved with what iftop was doing.  It's still strange that this
problem suddenly appeared a few months ago, and seemed to depend on
network interface, but I suppose there could have been something weird
going on with the old router the whole time.

However, I would still consider this a bug... maybe iftop is handling
something with DNS lookups badly?  DNS queries made by any other
application worked fine on those machines when iftop was choking.  And
in any case, DNS lookup issues in iftop probably shouldn't lock up a CPU.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to test.  Unfortunately
(and fortunately), I got rid of the old router, so I have a feeling that
I won't be able to reproduce the issue.

Alex