[Iftop-users] Forwarded bug reports from Debian

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:03:39 +0000

Markus,

Thanks for passing this on.  These all sound like reasonable
suggestions, which I'll consider when next working on iftop.

There's a couple where I'd be grateful for pointers from anyone on the
list about how to implement (even more grateful for patches!)

On 13/11/2013 11:05, Markus Koschany wrote:
> 1. iftop does not notice changes to ppp interfaces and stops refreshing
>     its output http://bugs.debian.org/543138

Does anyone know how to detect when this happens?  It's obviously not
treated as an error by pcap_loop() when it happens.

> 2. iftop: chooses eth0 as the default interface instead of the default
>     route http://bugs.debian.org/644998
>
> The code could be changed in two ways:
>    * Only consider interfaces with routes associated with them.
>    * Prefer the interface with a default route to other ones.

This is a great idea, but what's the easiest way to identify these
interfaces programmatically?

> 5. NAT support http://bugs.debian.org/631682
>
> One user asked for NAT support for using iftop on a router to monitor
> traffic.

Is this feasible?  I'm not sure how I'd go about trying to un-NAT a
packet for display.

Paul