[Iftop-users] Cross-compilation, libpcap issue ?

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:52:07 +0100

On 2/2/12 6:58 AM, Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to cross-compile iftop while using a custom install
> location of libpcap.
> So far, I am unsuccessful with going past a configure script error...
>
> First of all I have libpcap installed here:
>
> /usr/src/DVG1000_V1.1.01.04_WN_src/apps# ls libpcap-1.2.0/pcap-install/
> bin  include  lib  share
>
> root@builder:/usr/src/DVG1000_V1.1.01.04_WN_src/apps# ls
> libpcap-1.2.0/pcap-install/include/
> pcap  pcap-bpf.h  pcap.h  pcap-namedb.h
> root@builder:/usr/src/DVG1000_V1.1.01.04_WN_src/apps# ls
> libpcap-1.2.0/pcap-install/include/pcap
> bluetooth.h  bpf.h  ipnet.h  namedb.h  pcap.h  sll.h  usb.h  vlan.h
>
> root@builder:/usr/src/DVG1000_V1.1.01.04_WN_src/apps# ls
> libpcap-1.2.0/pcap-install/lib/
> libpcap.a  libpcap.so  libpcap.so.1  libpcap.so.1.2.0
>
> # CC=mips-linux-uclibc-cc ac_cv_linux_vers=2
> ac_cv_func_malloc_0_nonnull=yes ./configure --host=mips-linux
> --with-libpcap=/usr/src/DVG1000_V1.1.01.04_WN_src/apps/libpcap-1.2.0/pcap-install
>
> checking gethostbyaddr_r usability... can't test because we are
> cross-compiling
> checking where to find pcap.h... /include
> checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
> configure: error: can't find libpcap
>   You're not going to get very far without libpcap.
>
> Looking at the ./configure --help =>
>   --with-libpcap=WHERE    Where the libpcap packet-capture library is
> found.
>                           The pcap library should be installed  in
> WHERE/lib,
>                           and the header file in either WHERE/include or
>                           WHERE/include/pcap.
>
> I've already checked and the library files + header files really are
> in "WHERE"/lib and /include/pcap....
> So what am I doing wrong ?
> Is there a way to convince the configure script to take a better look
> in there ?
Solved it.
My fault...
Iftop-0.17 but the cross-compiler was the problem.
The one in the Netgear toolchain (what I was compiling for) when linking
with libpcap (found this by compiling a libpcap basic example by hand)
was trying to then locate the at_exit symbol in uclibc lib. The lib
didn't have it => error.
The configure script didn't output anything regarding this so it was
quite confusing.

I rebuilt their compiler according to the real, existing uClibc and this
worked.

Sorry for the trouble.