[Iftop-users] Monitoring all traffic

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:32:00 +0100

On 21/10/2011 19:04, joedson marques wrote:
> Warren,
>
> Sorry for won't be clear;
>
> Lets me try explain better.
>
> As long I open the iftop (passing an interface as parameter)
> it's show all traffic passing through the respective
> interface; but shortly after, it starts decreasing
> the traffic that value, until remains only:
> current bandwidth usage by *pairs of hosts*,
> this means, only hosts *directy connected*
> with the current host (the freeBSD).

That sounds like a very strange bug, and not one that I've seen before.

iftop shows bandwidth between pairs of hosts, but neither of those hosts
need be the host on which iftop is running.

I've used iftop on routers, and it shows all traffic flowing through the
interface.

How much network traffic is the router seeing?

Just one thought - freezing screen order (pressing "o") could give an
effect that is a little bit like what you describe.

Paul