[Iftop-users] can Applications be displayed in the iftop scroll?

Rob Hasselbaum rob at hasselbaum.net
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:37:37 -0400

--00151773df7cd2439604a7cea40a

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Jonathan Abbey
<jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu>wrote:

> That's a good idea, but there's nothing in iftop to do that now.
>
> I know it's possible on Linux to get that information from 'netstat
> -ap', and presumably iftop could be modified to get the relevant
> information from the same source that netstat gets it, but it would
> take a bit of doing.
>
> Especially because iftop is portable across several operating systems.
> Presumably each of those operating system families would need their
> own code written to get that information.
>
> Still, a good idea.  It would make a lovely patch to iftop.
>
>  Jon

If you're a KDE user, there is an iftop-like Plasma widget called Socket
Sentry that does this. Full disclosure: I'm the developer. There is also a
DBUS interface.

Getting the application name is tricky but possible by correlating several
separate data sets in the "/proc" filesystem. That's what netstat and Socket
Sentry both do. One thing that makes it tricky is that sockets can be shared
among processes.

Link if you're interested: https://code.google.com/p/socket-sentry/

--00151773df7cd2439604a7cea40a

e" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"=

That&#39;s a good idea, but there&#39;s nothing in iftop to do that now.<br=

I know it&#39;s possible on Linux to get that information from &#39;netstat=
-ap&#39;, and presumably iftop could be modified to get the relevant<br>
information from the same source that netstat gets it, but it would<br>
take a bit of doing.<br>
Especially because iftop is portable across several operating systems.<br>
Presumably each of those operating system families would need their<br>
own code written to get that information.<br>
Still, a good idea. =A0It would make a lovely patch to iftop.<br>
=A0Jon<br>
like Plasma widget called Socket Sentry that does this. Full disclosure: I&=
#39;m the developer. There is also a DBUS interface.<br><br>Getting the app=
lication name is tricky but possible by correlating several separate data s=
ets in the &quot;/proc&quot; filesystem. That&#39;s what netstat and Socket=
 Sentry both do. One thing that makes it tricky is that sockets can be shar=
ed among processes.<br>

--00151773df7cd2439604a7cea40a--