[Iftop-users] can Applications be displayed in the iftop scroll?

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:43:06 -0500

--TSQPSNmi3T91JED+

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 07:39:45AM -0400, nick rundy wrote:
|=20
| Is there any way to display the Application that is causing an
| internet connection to be established? For example, I often run the
| following command: sudo iftop -N -P -bis there a command or some way
| to get the Application responsible for the connection to be listed
| in the scroll?

That's a good idea, but there's nothing in iftop to do that now.

I know it's possible on Linux to get that information from 'netstat
-ap', and presumably iftop could be modified to get the relevant
information from the same source that netstat gets it, but it would
take a bit of doing.

Especially because iftop is portable across several operating systems.
Presumably each of those operating system families would need their
own code written to get that information.

Still, a good idea.  It would make a lovely patch to iftop.

 Jon

--=20
----
Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Au=
stin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey=
=2Egpg

--TSQPSNmi3T91JED+