[Iftop-users] Compiling the latest on an intel mac

Kimball Larsen kimball at beatthebookstore.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:38:09 -0700

So, I love iftop, and use it on many of the linux machines I admin
for work.

I recently purchased a new MacBookPro (one of the 17" Core 2 Duo
models) and am running OS X 10.4.8, with the latest developer tools.

I downloaded iftop-0.17pre2.tar.gz from freshmeat, and tried to do
a ./configure and make.

It puked.

I noted your request for feedback, so here is the relevant info:

kimball@cranky:~/Desktop/Downloads/iftop-0.17pre2 ./configure
checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin8.8.2
checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin8.8.2
checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin8.8.2
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/sockio.h usability... yes
checking sys/sockio.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking sys/dlpi.h usability... no
checking sys/dlpi.h presence... no
checking for sys/dlpi.h... no
checking for regcomp... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strspn... yes
checking for library containing socket... none required
checking for library containing log... none required
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for library containing inet_aton... none required
checking for library containing inet_pton... none required
checking for inet_aton... yes
checking for inet_pton... yes
checking size of u_int8_t... 1
checking size of u_int16_t... 2
checking size of u_int32_t... 4
checking for library containing getnameinfo... none required
checking for library containing gethostbyaddr_r... no
checking for library containing gethostbyaddr... none required
configure: WARNING: using single-threaded resolver with gethostbyaddr
   Consider obtaining ARES or a machine with a working gethostbyaddr_r.
checking where to find pcap.h... /include
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... yes
checking pcap.h usability... yes
checking pcap.h presence... yes
checking for pcap.h... yes
checking for a curses library containing mvchgat... -lcurses
checking POSIX threads compilation... CFLAGS= and LIBS=
checking POSIX threads usability... yes
checking if we need to enable promiscuous mode by default... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
0.17pre2
configure: WARNING:
******

This is a pre-release version.  Pre-releases are subject to limited
announcements, and therefore limited circulation, as a means of testing
the more widely circulated final releases.

Please do not be surprised if this release is utterly, utterly
broken.  If you
do find this release to be utterly, utterly broken, do not assume
that someone
else has spotted it.  Instead, please drop a note on the mailing list,
or a brief email to me on pdw@ex-parrot.com

Thank you for taking the time to be the testing phase of this
development
process.

Paul Warren

******

kimball@cranky:~/Desktop/Downloads/iftop-0.17pre2 make
make  all-recursive
Making all in config
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
source='addr_hash.c' object='addr_hash.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/addr_hash.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/addr_hash.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./config/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2  -c `test -f 'addr_hash.c'
|| echo './'`addr_hash.c
source='edline.c' object='edline.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/edline.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/edline.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./config/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2  -c `test -f 'edline.c' ||
echo './'`edline.c
source='hash.c' object='hash.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/hash.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/hash.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./config/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2  -c `test -f 'hash.c' ||
echo './'`hash.c
source='iftop.c' object='iftop.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/iftop.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/iftop.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./config/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2  -c `test -f 'iftop.c' ||
echo './'`iftop.c
In file included from iftop.c:46:
ppp.h:61: error: array type has incomplete element type
make[2]: *** [iftop.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks!