[Iftop-users] iftop 0.17 on HP-UX 11i

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:48:34 -0400

Jonathan Abbey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:17:22AM -0400, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> |
> | I am using HP's AnsiC compilers. I don't have GCC on this particular
> | box, but I do have other HP-UX machines that do have it. I'm somewhat
> | skeptical that that would make a difference, as it seems the compilers
> | tend to bomb on syntactical errors when it's compiler related, not
> | libraries.
>
> Yes, but different compilers do have the potential for taking
> different command line arguments to specify where those libraries are
> found, and etc.

Yeah, I'm not really arguing with you, I just have a hunch on this one.
I can try this on a gcc box also, though, but it seems like if the flags
 are defined properly, the compiler will usually go through the compile
no problem or error out.

> I also asked because the error message you included in your first
> email wasn't familiar to me.  I suppose the 'functions not found'
> message was actually generated from the configure shell script.  There
> should be a file 'config.log' which actually includes the detritus
> from the builds performed by the configure script as it attempts to
> verify the environment.

The output that is in this thread is from configure.log.

> You may find a more informative message in that file, describing what
> function or functions could not be found at the link stage.
>
> | > I don't think we've had any users attempt to build iftop on HP-UX
> | > before.  We'll probably need someone with access to an HP-UX box and
> | > some autoconf-fu to tweak the configure.in file so that it can cope
> | > with the way an HP-UX system is laid out.
> |
> | Well, you have someone with root access on many HP-UX boxes, but I don't
> | really have any autoconf-fu. Autoconf doesn't really seem that difficult
> | to me, so I'd be willing to give it a shot if I knew the kind of stuff
> | I'd be trying...
>
> You'd be modifying the configure.in file, to specify new paths or new
> library names that should be searched for, and used in the configure
> tests.
>
> At least, that's my best guess.  Knowing what that config.log file
> said would be very helpful.

Would you like the whole file attached to the list? I generally try to
avoid that sort of thing as I feel like I'm being a pest, but if that
would be the best course, I'm happy to do so.

> | > For example, I'd guess we'd need a -lthreads or some such there in
> | > order to pick up the threads library, but that will depend on just how
> | > HP-UX is laid out.
> |
> | How can I be of best assistance in this particular instance?
>
> Are there any libraries in your system's standard library paths that
> reference the word 'thread' in any form?  libpthreads,
> libposixthreads, etc.?

Yup, from what I can see looks like everything that would be needed is
here. That's actually why I didn't know how to proceed -- nothing is in
a non-standard location, so there are no -L or -I flags that I figure
I'd have needed to add. Note HP-UX uses .sl for .so files.

/usr/lib/libpthread.1
/usr/lib/libp/libpthread.a
/usr/lib/libpthread.a
/usr/lib/libpthread.sl
/usr/lib/libpthread_tr.1
/usr/lib/libpthread_tr.a

- From my cursory browsing on the web, 11.11 definitely does have a
reasonably good POSIX threads library set (wasn't the case in some of
the older releases -- not so sure about 11.00).

- --