[Iftop-users] working in 10baseT/UTP

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Sun, 1 May 2005 12:00:16 +0100

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 03:59:19PM +0300, Martins Dzelde wrote:
> greetings everyone,
> it seems that working in a media 10baseT/UTP iftop counts RX as TX and TX
> as TX. Hence RX is all the time zero. I think it shouldnt be this way,
> should it?

Could you give me some more information, please.  Is this for all host
pairs or is it just the totals?  What OS are you using, and what command
line are you using?

The totals are based on the direction in which packets are moving over
the host computer's inferface (or across the specified network
boundary).  If iftop cannot determine this direction, it will treat all
packets as incoming for the purposes of totals.

Paul