[Iftop-users] iftop continue running after exit

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:24:06 +0100

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:45:34PM +0200, Martins Dzelde wrote:
> the output there is:
>
> /* #undef USE_ARES */
> #define USE_FORKING_RESOLVER 1
> /* #undef USE_GETHOSTBYADDR */
> /* #undef USE_GETHOSTBYADDR_R */
> /* #undef USE_GETNAMEINFO */
>
> what does it mean?

It means that it's using the forking resolver, so it starts a number of
resolver processes (using fork()) and communicates with them internally
using a pipe.  I'm afraid I don't have time at the moment to look into
why it might leave processes around.   In theory, the forking resolver
should be pretty portable across UNIXs

> maybe someone know the answer for the second question:
> 2) how to make iftop show bandwidth usage by ip address. so that it sum up
> all connections made from each ip in the network.

Does hiding either source or dest host not do what you want?

Paul