[Iftop-users] dns resolution

Paul Warren pdw at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:06:53 +0100

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 09:48:19PM -0400, das@onperfect.com wrote:
> I use iftop (I love it) version 0.16.
> I seem to have some problem getting name resolution to
> work. I seems to some of the time and then it doesn't.
>
> Could someone fill me in on what I should know that I don't?

Can you tell us what platform you're on and what resolver option you are
using?

Assuming you're using something other that netdb_1thread, iftop will
attempt to resolve multiple addresses simultaneously, however it is
possible that it will encounter a number of hosts for which the DNS
servers are unavailable, in which case it will wait to time out on each
of these hosts.  If you encounter several of these at once, it will give
the appearance of name resolution stopping.

Paul