[Iftop-users] Trying to compile iftop-0.15 -- problems

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:36:01 +0000

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:26:03PM +0000, Paul Warren wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 01:00:22PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:46:59PM +0000, Paul Warren wrote:
> > > Sorry for the lack of reply on this one.  You should be able to work
> > > around this problem by replacing every occurence of "u_int32_t" with
> > > "unsigned int".
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what the "correct" solution to this problem.  Does anyone
> > > know if it's possible to get autoconf to do something useful here?
> >
> > It should already be doing so -- there's complicated logic
> > to define the various types. I don't know why it isn't
> > working in this case, though.
>
> On this system, the types are defined in sys/types.h, and presumably
> autoconf is supposed to make them up in the event that they're not
> defined there on a given system.
>
> Perhaps upgrading autoconf might help?

The autoconf scripts sets some macros which are tested by
integers.h. The problem is that, until C99, there were no
standard fixed-width integer types, so the script and
header file try between them to figure out what
combination of types works. It assumes that if <stdint.h>
exists, it contains the proper C99 uint<n>_t types, and
similarly for <sys/inttypes.h>, which on Solaris seems to
contain the same definitions.

I don't think that autoconf has functionality to do this
itself, sadly.

--
Don't argue with idiots-- they drag you down to their level,
and then they win because they're playing on home ground.