[Iftop-users] Iftop 0.14 on FreeBSD 5.1 using up all the file handles?

iftop@simhardware.co.nz iftop at simhardware.co.nz
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:09:21 +1300

Hi Folks,

For several weeks I have been running FreeBSD 5.1 Release (was on 4.7
previously).

I am using the ports collection of iftop 0.14.

What am am finding that that after a day or two I have thousands of open
files on the OS. If I exit iftop, that number drops back down to 200 or
so, and after I start iftop again it starts climbing again at a rate of
about 3 or 4 files per second.

I only noticed because after a week it is using all 7000 available file
handles, and I get a kernel file table full errors, and everything
stops.

Anyone else seem this behaviour?

Cheers,
Stuart Whelan