[Iftop-users] howdy

raptor raptor at tvskat.net
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:25:27 +0200

hi,

Thanx alot for this super program... it is very helpfull for analyzing my network...:")
I was wondering would it be harder a  output to a file be implemented, more specificly it would be
good if I can capture the total speed and/or total/MB transffered every X seconds.
So that If I can say something like this :

iftop --output-file /tmp/stat.log --interval 10sec -f 'net 192.168.0.0/24'

I could get the info about the perfomance of the 192.168.0.0/24 network for the time iftop was runnnig
and analyze it further..

time|Bytes|speed-kbit/s
0|1000|30
10|3000|37

and so on..

why I need this... I have two providers and switch between them based on the bandwith usage...
this way I can gen rought estamites.. runing iftop in different configurations...

One other idea was to be able to group the output of iftop based on some criteria say class C networks,
I mean instead of seeing every host of the network, see their combined graph...
So if I have 5 class C networks I can view their performance... and/or if many users access some outside
class C network i can view total speed used to access these severs .. So it has to be source and/or dest based.
or auto sensing when I exclude source "s" group on dest addresses,  and vs. versa ("d").

Output based on class C networks would be very good too... this way with a single run I can make comparison
of several source or destination nets...
net|time|Bytes|speed-kbit/s
192.168.0.0/24|0|1000|30
10.10.0.0/24|0|1000|30
192.168.0.0/24|10|3000|37
10.10.0.0/24|10|3000|37

of course to protect of big dumps, I will have to use something like : -f 'net 10.0.0.0/24 or net 192.168.0.0/24'

Third idea : make time periods for averaging the 3 speed columns configurable...

that is for now... just my 5c..
iftop and tcpdump are most favorite diagnostic tools.. keep the good work