[Iftop-users] Kudos and Question

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri, 23 May 2003 11:30:04 -0500

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 05:03:42PM +0100, Paul Warren wrote:
| OK, this is pretty much expected.  Presumably when you start up (or
| after you quit) you see a message saying that it was unable to get the
| hardware address and/or the IP address?

Mmm, possibly, I'll have to check.

| The problem is that if it can't figure out the above, it doesn't know
| which way packets are moving across the interface, so assumed that they
| were picked up in promiscuous mode (between two other hosts) and
| accounts them as incoming, having assigned the direction in the above
| display arbitrarily.

Right, makes perfect sense.

| Getting the hardware address is real PITA because there seem to be more
| ways of doing it than there are platforms in the world.  Currently it's
| only working on linux.  Can you try the attached patch, which is meant
| to work on Solaris, and let me know how you get on.  I'm afraid I don't
| have access to a Solaris box to test this on.

I will give this a try, thanks.

I do have another question.  When running iftop, it seems to be almost
random which IP addresses are resolved to their DNS names, and which
addresses appear in dotted decimal form.  This when all the hosts
displayed, in whichever form, are properly registered in our local
DNS.  If we do an nslookup on a host before starting iftop, that host
seems to be properly resolved on the bar graph, but the majority go
unresolved.

Does that scenario suggest anything?

  jon

--=20
----
Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Au=
stin
GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey=
.gpg

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK