[Iftop-users] List dead?

Martins Dzelde martins.dzelde at latrude.lv
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:53:59 +0200

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:18:41 +0200, Paul Warren <pdw@ex-parrot.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 07:41:24AM -0600, Jonathan Abbey wrote:
>> | Although I havent yet found how to work around the problem that the
>> | traffic agreggates, ie, sums up and fills up all the memory for the
>> | computer. May be someone knows a hint?
>>
>> I haven't seen this.  What operating system type and version are you
>> running iftop on?
>>
>> I assume you're running the very latest iftop from pdw?
>
> It sounds vaguely familiar from the past...
>
> Do you have a very large number of hosts on the network?  It should
> forget about hosts once they fall out of the 60 second(?) window that it
> watches.
I was posting questions long,long time ago. About 'very large' - dont know
- I have around 200 hosts on my network on a 32Mbit link, thats something
but not very large. It would be good if iftop would forget about each
connection after a time ( it could only keep the total traffic processed
per host, that shouldnt take up too much memory). The problem seems to be
that iftop saves all the connections (all hosts on all ports) proccessed
and that surely summs up quickly. Should iftop drop the old traffic? btw,
the freebsd box should be powerfull enough (P4, 1 Gb ram).

And the features saving a statistics offered by pat would be very good.
The next thing would be a possibility to leave iftop running as a deamon,
generating logs, logs for MRTG, etc. that would be great. But anyway, it
is very usefull as it is.

Martins.