[Iftop-users] iftop and c-ares

Simon Lundström darksoy at gmail.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:46:15 +0100

Hello,

I don't know if this mail got through, but if I apologise for the
duplicate (and for the messages sent from my other mail which wasn't
registered)

I've been trying to iftop to install with:
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./
configure --with-resolver=ares
to get c-ares[1] support but with no luck:
checking for library containing ares_init... no
configure: error: can't find ARES.  Re-run configure and ask for a
different resolver.

I've tried the conftest.c for ares:
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char ares_init ();
int
main ()
{
ares_init ();
   ;
   return 0;
}

And it compiles with:
gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -L/usr/local/lib -lcares conftest.c

But when I do:
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -lcares" ./configure --with-resolver=ares
I still get the message above..

Thanks
- Simon

[1] http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/